Saturday 18 August 2012

Sat. 18 Aug. Rest day Krippen/Bad Schandau.


Krippen has a few hotels and that's all. Most of the life is in Bad Schandau, the other side of the Elbe.

Last night we had to change a 100 crown note to get 4 euros from our hotel owner so we could get the ferry up to Bad Schandau. The ferry takes about 10 minutes and cost 1.7 Euro for a return trip. It's a very pleasant journey. We had to go to Bad Schandau (BS) to get Euros as there are no atm machines in Krippen. We had a good meal in an Italian restaurant while we were there. BS is a small Spa town with a narrow main street which can be so busy with traffic it is at times impossible to cross. 

Germany  has the same problem as the Czech Republic (CR) of too many smokers. It is impossible to get a meal in a restaurant without the flavours being masked by someone else's foul cigarette smoke. I didn't used to believe how dangerous second hand smoke could be but I do now. I've got a second hand smoker's cough!

Today I went to get a new Sim card for my phone as my Czech Sim card no longer works. However unlike the CR you can't just go buy one, you've got to present either an identity card or a passport! Perhaps that's why Czech phones don't work in Germany, the state isn't able to track you down. :)

That reminds me of another difference between the CR and the UK. Very few video cameras are visible in the streets in the CR. I find it somewhat ironic that security services in the west now appear far more active than those in a former Warsaw Pact country.

As I can speak a little bit of very bad German I asked a waitress how much one is expected to tip in Germany as being a foreigner I didn't know. She said 20 to 30%!!!! Not believing this I went to ask the same question in the tourist beaureau. The woman there said about 10%, if you do tip. When I then explained why I asked she almost exploded with incredulity and rushed off to repeat the story to her colleague. 

 In fairness to the waitress who suggested 20-30%, when I expressed my great surprise, she did say that tipping was not compulsory.

For those planning holidays, Germany seems at least 50% more expensive than the Czech Republic.

No comments:

Post a Comment